History of CITYNET
CITYNET came into being through a process that was based on the needs of cities in the Asia-Pacific Region. In 1982 the 1st Regional Congress of Local authorites for the Development of Human Settlment in the Asia Pacific took place in Yokohama with participants many countries.
The Yokohama Congress (Y'LAP) was organised in 1982 under the sponsorship of the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UN ESCAP), the United Nations Centre for Human Settlements (previous name of UN-HABITAT) and hosted by the City of Yokohama. The Congress stressed the need to enhance co-operative links between local authorities for the development of human settlements and to promote partnership with other urban stakeholders. To address these issues, the Congress adopted the Yokohama Declaration which was disseminated world-wide.
Thus the seed was planted however CITYNET was only officially established in 1987 at the Nagoya Congress (N'LAP) in Japan with the support of UNESCAP, UNDP, UN-HABITAT, the City of Nagoya and 27 members.
From that point on CITYNET has maintained its mission to promote cooperative links and partnerships throughout the Asia-Pacific in order to improve the sustainability of our cities.
- The 1st Regional Congress of Local Authorites for the Development of Human Settlments in the Asia Pacific is held.
"The Yokohama Congress(Y'LAP)"
- CITYNET is established with the support of UNESCAP, UNDP, UN-HABITAT, 27 members
- The Shanghai Congress (1st)
The CITYNET Charter was adopted.
The main office bearers such as President, Vice-Presidents and Executive Committee were elected. UNESCAP undertook the functions of the Secretariat until CITYNET formed its own Secretariat.
- The Kuala Lumpur Congress (Extraordinary Congress)
The Secretary-General and Auditor were elected.
- CITYNET Secretariat was established with the support of the City of Yokohama.
- CITYNET is granted ECOSOC Status of United Nations (recognized as an international NGO)
Bangladesh National chapter is established
- Waste water management project in Colombo, Sri, Lanka
- CITYNET'97 Yokohama Congress with the theme of "Strengthening Partnerships between Asian-Pacific Cities."
- Sri Lanka National Chapter of Mayors was established in Colombo
- Major survey on urban poor conducted
- Nepal National Chapter established
- UN-HABITAT Scroll of Honour
- The Kuala Lumpur Regional Training Centre is established
- Awareness on Environmental Education in Asian Cities (AWAREE) Project established with the support of JICA.
(Yokohama, Japan; Hanoi, Vietnam; Phnom Penh,Cambodia, Nanjing, China) (Project: 2004 - 2006)
- Tsunami Relief Drive
- MDGs Cluster formed Stand up for MDGs campaign
Mumbai declared host of the Satellite Office
- CITYNET 20th Anniversary
CITYNET & EUROCITIES Sign Agreement Lyon, France
Post-AWAREE Project (Yokohama, Japan; Da Nang, Vietmnam, Colombo, Sri lanka; Dhaka, Bangladesh; Makati, Philippines)(Project: 2007 - 2010)
- CITYNET 25th Anniversary
CITYNET celebrated it 25th Anniversary and member cities including Surabaya and Yokohama hosted commemorative events.
- Secretariat Relocation
CITYNET Secretariat relocated to Seoul, R.O.Korea and celebrated it opening on 26th March, 2013.